CAIR-Chicago’s Executive Director, Ahmed Rehab, will speak at the Open Communities’ Second Justice Summit for residents and community activists in the northern suburbs. This is an opportunity to learn and organize under the Principles of the Welcoming Community to become more accessible, safe, and engaged. Ahmed will keynote the plenary and speak at a panel on racial justice.
Participate in Workshops On:
- Housing Rights: Familiarize yourself with strategic campaigns to preserve and create affordable housing, and what you can do to stop housing discrimination.
- Low Wage Workers Rights: Learn about policy campaigns to empower and improve workers’ lives and organize businesses that support workers earning a living wage.
- Immigration and Racial Justice: Connect with ways to work locally against the current rise of anti-immigrant and racist policies. Learn about actions to create a more welcoming community.
- Organizing and Civic Engagement Workshop: Focuses on how to keep your elected officials accountable and learn about faith-based and political organizing.
- Social Identity and Cultural Competence: Understand the power dynamics in a society that impact us, develop the skills to interrupt old patterns and inequitable practices that limit access and exclude some people from our institutions and begin to understand how to make decisions based on multiple perspectives.
- Ahmed Rehab, Executive Director of the Chicago Office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- Gianna Baker, Outreach manager at Housing Action Illinois and leader of the Just Housing Initiative campaign
- Ben Head, Political consultant, campaign manager, and community organizer
- Eileen Heineman, Director of the Racial Justice Program at YWCA Evanston/North Shore
- Zach Koutsky, Legislative and Political Director of United Food and Commercial Workers, Local #881
- Sue Loellbach, Director of Advocacy at Connections for the Homeless and Director of Joining Forces for Affordable Housing
- Reverend Michael Nabors, Senior Pastor at Second Baptist Church of Evanston and President of Evanston NorthShore Chapter of NAACP
- Neda Nozari, Fair Housing Director at Open Communities
- Jennifer O’Neil, Evanston League of Women Voters
- Tania Richard, Co-Creator of the podcast Race Bait and the documentary Tip of the Spear
- Pastor Daniel Ruen, Pastor of Grace Lutheran Church in Evanston
- Holly Sklar, Co-author of Raise the Floor: Wages and Policies that Work for All of Us. Executive Director, Business for a Fair Minimum Wage
- Paul Traynor, Co-Creator of the podcast Race Bait and the documentary Tip of the Spear
- Fred Tsao, Senior Policy Counsel at the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Dilnaz Waraich, Muslim Education Center and Board Member of Open Communities
- Sophia Zaman, Executive Director of Raise The Floor Alliance